09 10

Monday, July 9, 2012

Artist Feature: Maggie Smith

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Where you are from. Your education, culture and goals.
I'm Maggie Smith, a painter/singer/pianist living in the heart of Atlanta. I got my degree for painting from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and the University of Georgia. My hometown is Cartersville Ga, but I wouldn't say I'm country. I'm very bohemian and a bit nerdy. My goals in life are simply to make stuff, to help people, and to never stop learning. 

2. Who are your favorite artists, designers, or fashion icons that have influenced your creative style? who do you admire?
Oh man, I have so many inspirations that it's hard to narrow them down. My favorite painters are Ray Caesar (he's a digital artist too I suppose) Balthus, Egon Schiele, Rousseau, etc. My favorite poets are Kahlil Gibran and Billy Collins, they influence a lot of my work.

Hard Rock Cafe, Atlanta GA

3. Where do you normally find your inspiration?
I find my inspiration from storytelling and daily life. I love art that shows multiple moments of a story at the same time. I really love surfing reddit.com for inspiration, it's full of little daily surprises. 

4. What was your favorite project? Describe it.
 My favorite project was a sketchbook where I forced myself to only make self portraits.. which didn't neccessarily mean I had to draw my actual bodsy, but the pictures had to represent a self exploration. It was so wonderful to keep what was basically a diary of pictures. I filled the pages and was so sad to reach the end. I learned a lot about myself.

"Elephantscape" by Maggie Smith






5. What is your dream project? Describe it.
My dream project is to create a series of paintings that are bound up like the old codexes of the middle ages, complete with vellum and gold leafing. I get chills thinking about magical it would be. like the most awesome picture book you could imagine as a kid.

6. How would you describe your process?
I tend to work out my thoughts while I paint or draw. I don't like to prep with sketches before hand, I like to scratch out the mistakes and leave them as evidence. It drives a lot of people crazy, but I think it makes my work very human. It also makes me laugh. 

"A Tempest" by Maggie Smith


7. What is your favorite fashion possession of the moment?
My favorite fashion possession is currently my skinny black Free People jeans. I wear them practically every day. They are divine.


8. If someone was going to visit your city, what one place would you recommend them to see?
I would recommend Eddie's attic to them. I've played that venue, and it's really wonderful. You never know what talented person is gonna come out of the woodwork and blow you away.


She is amazing, isn't she?!!! If you want to see more of Maggie, check out her music on Reverbnation.

Thank you Maggie!

- Ksenia

No comments:

Post a Comment